Buile Hill Visual Arts College SCITT is based in Salford at Buile Hill Visual Arts College. We were graded Outstanding in all areas by Ofsted in October 2016.
Inspection Judgements - please click button for further information
School Direct places are available in the following routes to train within the Buile Hill Visual Arts College SCITT from September 2018:
You will find us on UCAS https://www.ucas.com/ listed as “Buile Hill Visual Arts College SCITT” under the institution code 1MS
Art & Design (UCAS Code 3827)
Chemistry (UCAS Code 3828)
Computing (UCAS Code 3829)
Design & Technology (UCAS Code 382B)
English (UCAS Code 382C)
Geography (UCAS Code 382D)
History (UCAS Code 382F)
Mathematics (UCAS Code 382G)
Modern Foreign Languages (UCAS Code 382H)
Physics (UCAS code 382J)
Buile Hill Visual Arts College Mission Statement
Outstanding pupil progress is held at the core of the Buile Hill Visual Arts College SCITT. Our trainees are skilled at observing learning, have an acute understanding of what makes people learn best, and teach intuitively, enabling all pupils to progress ‘beyond expectations’. Our aim is that the trainees, as well as their pupils, will go ‘beyond expectations’ in terms of the progress that they make. Outstanding teaching leads to outstanding progress.
Entry Requirements for School Direct
- An Honours Degree (preferably a 2:2 degree or above)
- GCSE A* - C in Mathematics and English Language
As part of the application process we will be looking for applicants who have gained School Experience. This experience gives you an excellent opportunity to observe teachers in the classroom and see for yourself if this career if for you. You can gain experience in a variety of schools by contacting the NCTL https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/getting-school-experience
All applicants who successfully pass the interview stage and are made an offer of a place on the Scitt will be asked to complete Numeracy and Literacy Tests, you can find more details via this link http://sta.education.gov.uk/
Subject Knowledge Enhancement
Sometimes applicants who are made an offer of a place will be required to gain additional Subject Knowledge Enhancement; this is within the areas of Chemistry, Physics, Maths, Computer Science, MFL and Geography. These attract a bursary and more details can be found by following this link
Placements whilst training
Whilst you are training you will complete two placements, Placement A1 and A2 will take place during the autumn and summer term and tends to be at the same School within our Alliance. Placement B will take place during the Spring Term and will with a contrasting School, again within our alliance.
You will also complete three weeks of enhanced placement which involves spending a week at a Primary School, a week in a Post 16 setting and a week at a Special School within our alliance.
Bursaries and funding
There is financial support available for trainee teachers, you can get up to £30,000 tax free while you train. Details of the available bursaries can be found here:
There is also Scholarships available within Computing, Chemistry, Geography, Languages, Maths and Physics (please see the separate link for more information)
What Ofsted say
- A strong moral purpose, shared vision and high expectations place the needs of trainees, pupils and schools at the heart of this successful, school-led, Salford-based ITE partnership
- A collegial and collaborative approach, open and honest communications, positive relationships and a passionate commitment to training teachers who are fully equipped to meet the needs of schools.
- High employment and completion rates attest to the partnership’s extremely positive contribution to the local area’s supply of good or better teachers and its growing reputation as a high-quality ITE partnership
- Crystal-clear documentation provides a progressive structure for delivering very coherent training across the partnership and supports trainees and mentors extremely effectively
What our trainees say
- Lots of CPD, fantastic support and excellent training.
- Overall - the training best prepared me to teach in a classroom, lots of practical advice and guidance.
- Throughout my training so far I have received much support in implementing and maintaining successful behaviour management strategies in my classes
100% of our trainees have been awarded QTS since the course commenced in September 2014. We have a 100% employment rate, many securing NQT posts within alliance schools.
Follow us on Twitter @BHVAC_SCITT